The story began on February 27th, when I've applied to the press office of Lithuanian Parliament for the accreditation as a journalist. Decision was negative, therefore on Thursday (April 26th) I've initiated the case in Vilnius regional administrative court. A short overview of discussed question is presented here in English.
My position is based on several arguments (full text and details – above in Lithuanian):
- the essence of media accreditation process;
- range of subjects, who are entitle to the right of self-expression (freedom of speech, free speech in US under Ist amendment);
- definition of „journalist“ in Law on Provision of Information to the Public;
- requirement of „professional basis“;
- form of a contract between natural person and mass media entity;
- position of the Lithuanian journalists' ethics inspector.
P.S. (for English readers) – please do not hesitate to comment or email me in case any specific details would help you to understand better the latest situation.